On my hair journey, wanting to express myself artistically, I eventually explored the concept of seeing the head as a canvas on which I could show my love for art and culture. What a great choice! Helping others to embrace their heritage while taking better care of their hair became my joy, and when I was introduced to the ancient art of African threadwrapping, I knew this was something that would join the color, care, creativity, culture and natural beauty altogether and still have the pizzazz and pop I was looking for. It is both an ancient and contemporary vestige of African culture used to protect the hair from the elements, but also portrays the beauty and creativity of African people.
African HAIRitage Threadwrapping FLASH Course, you will learn...
For the course you should have ready the following:
1. A live model or a mannequin head (also called a Gloria head). A live model is preferred so that he/she can tell you when you’re pulling too much on the hair or the wrap is too tight on the scalp. Click Here for mannequin purchase option.
2. Hair clips and elastic bands (not rubber bands, preferably another fiber that will not tangle)
3. (2) Combs, one with small teeth
4. (1) Skein of knitting yarn, medium thickness
5. (1) Bottle of clear fingernail polish
Once you have paid for the course you will have full access to all course recordings. Please note: this class is Non-refundable.
Each course is Friday (7 pm), Saturday (10 am), and Sunday (3:30pm) for 1.5 hours of online instruction each day for two weekends.
CHOOSE ONE SESSION BELOW:
JULY 24 - AUGUST 2
AUGUST 7 - AUGUST 16
AUGUST 21 - AUGUST 30